Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Intro

I've always been drawn to making things.  This interest was reinforced several times over in high school when I was given an old 35mm camera.  Through photography, I discovered not only my voice but also an interest in the world around me.  My excitement for photography lead me to study Art Semiotics in college, a concentration that gave me the freedom to create my own work while considering critically visual practices and texts.  

Spending several years working at large cultural institutions prompted me to examine more closely aspects of the work I was doing/promoting that I enjoyed.  This, in concert with a more introspective look at my interests and values, has lead me to Art Education and more specifically, the MAAE program at SAIC.  I am interested in the educational role that large institutions play in their communities and in working with populations that for a variety of reasons don't have the same access to these institutions that their more privileged counter parts have.  Within the MAAE program in particular, there's a focus on the "variety of reasons" previously referred to, which though I have little experience addressing am very interested in confronting.

No comments:

Post a Comment